Uses for Powder Coating You Probably Haven’t ConsideredAugust 7, 2018 6:07 pm Leave your thoughts
Powder coating is a process that’s been around since the late 1960s, and remains an extremely popular process in the manufacturing and fabricating world. Many important parts and tools are powder coated to enhance their durability and functionality. Plus, the cost-effective nature of the process makes it an excellent investment.
Of course, powder coating is frequently used in many other applications aside from just coating important parts and tools. At NW Metal Fabricators Inc., we use it frequently in our work as steel fabricators in Umatilla County, OR. Here are just a few examples of some everyday items that often benefit from the powder coating process:
- Refrigerators: Powder coating is frequently used on the front and side panels of refrigerators. This enhances their durability and also improves their ability to insulate and maintain certain temperatures.
- Bicycle frames: The vast majority of bicycle frames are powder coated these days. This helps to keep them from rusting, which is important considering the amount of exposure they get to the rain—especially if they’re left chained up outside.
- Gates: Gates can benefit greatly from powder coating because this prevents them from getting a discolored, rusty appearance that you’ll often find in older metal gates and fences.
- Lawn furniture: If you see metal lawn furniture, there’s a good chance it was manufactured with the powder coating process. This is because the powder coat keeps the metal from oxidizing and rusting during its long-term exposure to the outdoor elements.
- Football helmets: It may come as a bit of a surprise that powder coating is often used in the process of creating football helmets. The helmet itself is made of plastic, so the whole thing isn’t powder coated, but you’ll find certain elements that are, which adds to their durability.
- Fire extinguishers: You know that shiny red color that is found on all fire extinguishers? That color is protected thanks to the powder coating process. People need to be able to quickly find and notice those extinguishers, and powder coating helps with that!
- Basketball hoops: The rims on almost all basketball hoops have been powder coated—again, as a means of protecting them from the rain and other outdoor elements that they’re constantly exposed to. That orange color is able to last because of the powder coating process!
- Shelving: Metal shelving is often powder coated, which helps it maintain its appearance for years to come without you needing to worry about refinishing it.
- Rims and wheels: Powder coating enhances the durability of wheels and rims and prevents damage such as chipping, flaking or rusting. This has made powder coated rims a big trend in the auto world.
- ATVs: That’s right—the bodies of ATVs are often powder coated to help them maintain their shine and color for years to come, even when they get a lot of outdoor use.
These are just a few of the more common uses for powder coating you might not have been aware of. For more information about the powder coating process, contact our steel fabricators in Umatilla County, OR.
Categorised in: Powder Coating, Steel Fabricators
This post was written by Writer