Powder coating is the process of spraying free-flowing powdered polymers onto a metal object, and then superheating, or “baking,” that object. During the baking process, the powdered coating melts and coalesces, becoming a hard plastic-like shell that’s glossy and exceptionally durable. In recent years, powder coating has become an increasingly popular process amongst welding companies in Umatilla, OR, as a way to protect products and components they’ve created for their clients.
Because powder coating is a protective layer applied using exceptionally high levels of heat, many people wonder if powder coated parts or products are sufficiently strong and stable to withstand high heat during use.
Thankfully, the answer is usually yes, unless you’re working with extreme conditions. Most powder coating can survive temperatures as high as 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit, before it begins to melt. Here are just some of the other benefits associated with powder coating:
- Durable: Powder coating forms a hard, lightweight shell around your metal object; powder coating is virtually impermeable. Exposure to water, salt, humidity and other environmental factors has little to no adverse impacts on powder coated surfaces. Additionally, powder coating is able to withstand extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Great-looking: Available in virtually any combination of coloration, powder coating is a way to add a bit of creative flair to your finished component or product. Powder coating is glossy, and can be touched up a number of ways to improve its aesthetic. Powder coating can also have texture added for aesthetic or practical purposes.
- Long-lasting: Because powder coating is made of inorganic polymers, it’s practically indestructible; powder coating rarely breaks down. It’s a long-lasting protective solution, and it can help you improve the lifespan of your fabricated part or product. Powder coating’s durability is just one of the many aspects that makes it so desirable.
- Environmentally friendly: Compared with aerosol metal treatment options, powder coating is relatively eco-friendly. Powder coating consists of statically charged particles that are blown at the targeted object; excess powder is scooped up and recycled, and the process doesn’t emit any volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like aerosols do.
- Versatile: Powder coating is an exceedingly versatile treatment methodology. Today, powder coating is used in the manufacturing of appliances, fencing, automobiles, ski poles and so much more. Powder coating is one of the most versatile, useful metal sealing methods available.
- Cost-effective: Perhaps the most significant benefit of the powder coating process is its substantial cost advantages over traditional coating techniques. While aerosol sealing methods require multiple layers applied over periods of days and weeks, powder coating is a simple task that requires minimal labor.
For more than three decades, N.W. Metal Fabricators, Inc. has been one of the top welding companies in Umatilla, OR. We’re proud to offer access to high-caliber welding and metal fabrication services to each of our clients. We promote powder coating as an excellent way to protect the components and products we fabricate for our clients. Contact us today to learn more our full-service fabrication services.
Categorised in: Powder Coating
This post was written by Writer