At NW Metal Fabricators Inc., your local experts in metal fabrication in Umatilla County, OR, we have always offered powder coating as an option to our clients. Why? Because the quality is simply something that we can stand behind. Since the 1960s, when powder coating was first introduced in the U.S., its popularity has grown for a number of reasons: it’s more durable, the color lasts longer, the finish quality is better, it’s less expensive and it can be applied faster.
When we first introduce our clients to powder coating, we often get a lot of questions. After all, something that sounds too good to be true usually is, right? Well, in the case of powder coating, it actually is that good, which is why we use it as a finishing option for our metal fabrication in Umatilla County, OR. But powder coating offers other benefits besides quality and affordability—it’s also better for the environment! Below are a few examples why powder coating is better for the environment than some other forms of paint:
- No VOCs: Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are compounds that can easily become vapors or gases. While some are not dangerous, the VOCs emitted from liquid paints are harmful. Powder coating has no risk of dangerous VOCs.
- No solvents: Solvents, used to thin out oil-based paints or clean up after their use, can be found in most liquid paints. Solvents are often a fire risk and can be dangerous if not disposed of correctly. You won’t find any solvents in powder coatings.
- Recyclability: Unlike liquid paints, the overspray during the powder coating process can actually be retrieved and reused, which makes powder coating recyclable.
- No waste disposal concerns: With powder coating, the little that cannot be retrieved and reused does not result in dangerous waste or any disposal concerns.
- Fewer health risks: Because there are fewer hazardous materials found in powder coating, it is safer for those applying it. It can also be easily washed off, unlike traditional paints.
- Low energy consumption: In recent years, powder coating has been perfected so it can be cured at lower temperatures, which saves energy consumption and reduces costs.
- Durability: Because powder coating is so durable, it offers better protection to the metal surfaces it is applied to, which means that those metal products will last longer and need replacement less often.
Although it may seem too good to be true, powder coating really is stronger, better and greener than more traditional paints. But you don’t have to take our word for it—check out some of the products we’ve made, and you can see the difference for yourself.
If you’re interested in our powder coating services or would like your next metal fabrication in Umatilla County, OR finished with powder coating, just let us know. We highly recommend powder coating as a finish for all your metal products and stand behind our work. To learn more or to discuss your next project, give us a call today!
This post was written by Writer